Sunday, January 31, 2010

Sunday Bike Ride

When we woke up this morning it was snowing steadily and there was a brushing of snow on the ground. Haley immediately groaned and began to whine about hating the snow and cold days. She's not alone, we all seem to hate the nasty white snow and freezing cold days that never end. It's not been more than 40 degrees for awhile now and it's beginning to suck (now you can tell Laura's not writing this one, she wouldn't use "suck").

Haley and Allie love to play outside and unfortunately Haley does not like the cold and she despises the snow. She is a sissy. Allie, on the other hand, loves the snow and would play in it all day. So, when she grows up she can marry an Eskimo or study polar bears.

Haley really misses Alabama - not only family, but the weather. Finally, after weeks - no, months - it reached 44 degrees. We have church from 1:00 - 4:00PM. It was so sunny and nice on the way to church. However, once church was over, it was overcast and cold. We didn't let it get us down and Haley was determined to be outside. I figured at 38 degrees it was probably the warmest it had been in awhile. So, we bundled up as if it were -38 degrees and we headed out to ride our bicyles, a Sunday tradition that the Helms family enjoyed when I was young. Allie talked incesently during the entire bike ride. About half way through the bike ride a police officer stopped me. "What have I done?" I asked the police officer. "Perhaps you didn't notice sir, but your daughter is about a half-mile behind you" said the officer. "Oh, thank goodness" I said to the officer as he stared at me with a perplexed look, "I thought I'd gone deaf."

The girls loved it and I loved it. Allie said that since it was Sunday we should ride to the Salt Lake Temple to "see" it. She's cute. She could barely make it around the block without stopping because she was tired. She rides a small bike and she probably pedals two times more than Haley and at least ten times more than me. So, she's entitled to a rest every few houses.

No comments: