I thought it would be cute to decorate the blog for St. Patick's Day since my great-grandmother's heritage is largely Irish. Well, I pulled out the family charts she gave me (after I had already decorated the blog) and we're not Irish. We're Scottish.
Violet Lucille McIntosh ("Bubo" as we call her in our family) is the daughter of John Roulston. He is probably the 7th John Roulston since 1682. He fought in the first World War. The Roulstons have played many significant parts in American history including the fact that a Roulston has served in every American war.
Something else I learned while researching our non-Irish past is that our family name before immigrating to the American continent was "Roll Stone." Our clan appeared in the Scotland mountains after the eleventh century. When invaders penetrated the Roll Stones' highland's our clan would retreat above the lochs and valleys taking the loose rocks and rolling them down the mountain at their enemies. Thus, our clan's form of defense became our family name and it has taken on many form's since. For example: Rolstone, Roulstone, Ralstone, Raulston, and finally Roulston. I included a picture of the Roulston family crest. I know it's hard to tell from the scan, but the eagle is looking at the sun.
.
.
No comments:
Post a Comment