One thing I've learned about parenting is that most of the decisions you make are in the moment. It's not often that you get to leave the situation, contemplate the best response, and then always return with the appropriate attitude and actions. This leaves me constantly in pursuit of any evidence that I'm making good fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants decisions.
Today during church Haley's and Allie's hair was wild with static from their coats. Brent was trying to smooth Allie's hair, gently stroking her head over and over again. I watched the effect as though Brent's gesture were contageous. Allie began stroking Haley's hair and then rubbing her back. Haley was then rubbing Emily's cheek and cooing at her. I guess love is contageous. I'm glad to see that in all of the rushing around and trying to meet the needs of three little girls, we're managing to squeeze in enough evidences of love so that they know what love is and how to share it. As a mom, I'm convinced that love is not in the getting, but in the giving. Today it seemed that Haley and Allie understood that too.
No comments:
Post a Comment